Skip to main content

Holiday Fun

I've had a bit of a mental break over the past few weeks thanks to the North American holiday season.  This has given me a chance to focus more on some of my other interests like gaming.

My darling wife +Kristy Trauzzi (ooh, new G+ integration for blogger!) got me a Wii U for xmas and it's been an absolute blast.

The upgrade process from the old Wii allowed me to export all the Miis I've created over the years.  Another neat feature is that I can spit them out onto an SD card!  So, if you're a Little Britain fan like us, you might recognize these two.  Of course, I've included the QR codes should you desire their company...




I don't like it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laravel Project Architecture: The Missing Guide

At my job, we've been doing a lot of learning and development using Taylor Otwell 's Laravel 4 PHP framework.  As we've become more familiar with it, we've had to come up with better ways to structure our projects outside of what the documentation indicates and the default distribution that is provided. If you've been working with Laravel 4 for any amount of time or come with experience from another framework and are just getting started, you've probably noticed that there are a lot of different ways to cut up your projects. Choice is nice, but sometimes it can be paralysing or misleading. Concrete Advice This post is done in such a way that you can just skim the headings, but if you want a detailed explanation in each section, feel free to read in where necessary. While I can't say the entirety of my advice is in practice throughout the community, I can say that we are starting to use it, and to very good effect at my job.  Especially consider...

ASP.net Core 1 Projects on .NET Core 2

A small post for today although something I think could trip others up.  I'm trying out the latest WebJobs 3.0 beta which is a port of the 2.0 version with .net Core 2.0 support.  This is really exciting as .net Core projects are considerably easier to work with than .net 4.x.  There tends to be less magic and they're a lot more command line friendly. One issue is that in order to use the new WebJobs 3.0 library, my current ASP.net Core 1.x web applications need to be running on .net Core 2 to use it for dispatch.  This hasn't been too much of a hassle, it was largely just a matter of updating the TargetFramework entry in my csproj to netcoreapp2.0 .  You may also end up with a few other items to clean up after that as the netcoreapp2.0 TFM comes with some useful configurations out of the box to ensure well behaved .net 4.6 PCLs are easier to get into your projects. The one surprise I hit was that when I shipped things up to Azure App Service, I got a fairl...

Building .NET Core Nuget Packages

My last blog post was on building and publishing npm packages, specifically for typescript projects. In my opinion, packages are an important fundamental unit in software development. They sit at the confluence of technical competence and collaboration, and represent something the software community should be proud of. Most of the time, you're going to be creating software packages once you're comfortable with some essential pillars: Coding Project structure Software architecture Building Delivery Community Licensing After I got my npm package up and running, my next task was to do the same thing with my C# libraries. Similar to protoculture, I have made a library called praxis .  This is done by leveraging the services and tooling known in the .NET ecosystem as nuget. In this case, praxis abstracts many of the concepts and functionality I require when producing server projects. It builds on top of ASP.NET Core, so in that sense you can almost think of it as ...